Articles Published or In Press
25. Webb, JR*, Hayes NM, Simpson GL, Leavitt PR, Baulch HM, Finlay K. 2019. Widespread nitrous oxide undersaturation in small agricultural water bodies. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 116 (20), 9814-9819. doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1820389116
24. Bos, JS*, Nanayakkara L, Hurlbert M, Finlay K. 2019. Citizen Science for Saskatchewan Lakes: A pilot project. Lake and Reservoir Management. 35: 77–89. doi.org/10.1080/10402381.2018.1538172
23. Finlay K, Vogt RJ, Simpson GL, Leavitt PR. 2019. Seasonality of pCO2 in a hard-water lake of the northern Great Plains: The legacy effects of climate and limnological conditions over 36 years. Limnology and Oceanography. 64(S1): S118-S129. doi.org/10.1002/lno.11113
22. Wiik E, Haig HA, Hayes NM, Finlay K, Simpson GL, Vogt RJ, Leavitt PR. 2018. Generalized additive models of climatic and metabolic controls of subannual variation in pCO2 in productive hardwater lakes. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences. 123(6) 1940-1959. doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0188652
21. Webb JR*, Santos IR, Maher DT, Finlay K. 2018. The importance of aquatic carbon fluxes in net ecosystem carbon budgets: A catchment-scale review. Ecosystems. doi.org/10.1007/s10021-018-0284-7
20. Bogard MJ, Finlay K, Waiser MJ, Tumber VP, Donald DB, Wiik E, Simpson GL, del Giorgio PA, Leavitt PR. 2017. Effects of nitrogen fertilization and ecosystem pH on planktonic metabolism and atmospheric CO2 exchange in hardwater lakes. PLoS ONE. 12(12): e0188652. doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0188652
19. Danovaro RL, Carugati L, Boldrin, A. Calafat A, Canals M, Fabres, Finlay K, Heussner S, Miserocchi S., Sanchez-Vidal. 2017. Long-term changes in deep-sea zooplankton in the Mediterranean Sea: an analysis based on trap
moorings. Deep Sea Research Part I. 126: 103-114.
18. Nanayakarra, L, Bos, J., Finlay K. 2017. Navigating the waters of citizen science: lessons learnt from a pilot lake monitoring project in Saskatchewan, Canada. Limnology and Oceanography Bulletin, Nov 2017: 109-110.
17. Finlay, K. Vogt, R.J. 2016 An ecosystem management framework to maintain water quality in a macrophyte dominated, productive, shallow reservoir. Hydrobiologia. 776(1):111-123.
16. Quinones-Rivera, Z.J., Finlay, K., Vogt, R.J., Leavitt, P. R., Wissel, B. 2015 Hydrologic, metabolic and atmospheric CO2 exchange in a large continental reservoir during spring and summer. Journal of Great Lakes Research. doi:10.1016/j.jglr.2015.05.005
15. Finlay, K., Vogt, R.J., Bogard, M.J., Wissel, B., Tutolo, B.M., Simpson, G.L., and Leavitt, P.R. 2015. Decrease in CO2 efflux from northern hardwater lakes with increasing atmospheric warming. Nature. 519: 215-218 DOI 10.1038/nature14172
14. Donald, D.B., Bogard, M.J., Finlay, K., Bunting, L., and Leavitt, P.R. 2013. Phytoplankton-specific response to enrichment of phosphorus-rich surface waters with ammonium, nitrate, and urea. PLOS One. 8 (1) e53277.
13. Bogard, M.J., Donald, D.B., Finlay, K, Leavitt, P.R. 2012. Distribution and regulation of urea in lakes of central North America. Freshwater Biology. 57(6): 1277-1292.
12. Donald, D.B., Bogard, M.J., Finlay, K, Leavitt, P.R. 2011. Comparative effects of urea, ammonium, and nitrate on phytoplankton abundance, community composition, and toxicity in hypereutrophic freshwaters. Limnology and Oceanography. 56(6): 2161-2175.
11. Finlay, K, Patoine, A., Donald, D.B., Bogard, M., and Leavitt, P.R. 2010. Experimental evidence that pollution with urea can degrade water quality in phosphorus-rich lakes of the northern Great Plains. Limnology and Oceanography 55:1213-1230.
10. Finlay, K., Leavitt, P.R., Patoine, A., and Wissel, B. 2010. Magnitudes and controls of organic and inorganic carbon flux through a chain of hard-water lakes on the northern Great Plains. Limnology and Oceanography 55: 1551-1564.
9. Finlay, K., Leavitt, P.R., Wissel, B., and Prairie, Y. T. 2009. Regulation of spatial and temporal variability of carbon flux in six hard-water lakes of the northern Great Plains. Limnol. Oceanogr 54: 2553-2564.
8. Tranvik, L.J., Downing, J.A., Finlay, K. and 25 others. 2009 Lakes and Impoundments as regulators of carbon cycling and climate. Limnology and Oceanography 54 (6, part 2) 2298-2314.
7. Dröscher, I., Patoine, A., Finlay, K., and Leavitt, P. R. 2009. Climate control of the spring clear-water phase through the transfer of energy and mass to lakes. Limnology and Oceanography 54: 2469-2480.
6. Finlay, K., Beisner, B.E., Patoine, A. and Pinel-Alloul, B. 2007. Regional ecosystem variability drives the relative importance of bottom-up and top-down factors for zooplankton size spectra. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 64: 516-529.
5. Barnett, A. J., Finlay, K., and Beisner, B.E. 2007 Functional diversity of crustacean zooplankton communities: towards a trait-based classification. Freshwater Biology 52(5):796-813.
4. Finlay, K., Beisner, B.E., and Barnett, A.J.D. 2007 The use of the Laser Optical Plankton Counter to measure zooplankton size, density, and biomass in small freshwater lakes. Limnology and Oceanography: Methods 5: 41-49.
3. Finlay, K. and Roff, J.C. 2006 Ontogenetic growth rate responses of temperate marine copepods to chlorophyll concentration and light. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 313: 145-156.
2. Finlay, K. and Roff, J.C. 2004. Radiotracer determination of the diet of calanoid copepod nauplii and copepodites in a temperate estuary. ICES Journal of Marine Science. 61(4): 552-562.
1. Finlay, K., Cyr, H. and Shuter, B.J. 2001 Spatial and temporal variability in water temperatures in the littoral zone of a multibasin lake. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 58: 609-619.